8
Apr

Interview with a Club: IE Strategy Club

Written on April 8, 2013 by Campus Life in Professional

Who are we?

Strategy coordinatorsStrategy is everywhere, in business and in everyday life. With the club, we hope to help the students realize the importance of strategy in business, just as mathematics is essential in physics.
Non-market strategies, for example, are particularly relevant, not only during crisis but also in a more general manner, as all the aspects related to strategy are critical to maximize business growth and impact  as a manager. 
Our first objective is to provide a platform to club members to network with other students that have similar interests and who are passionate about strategy. Our second and equally important objective is to offer the possibility to the students to meet professionals and renowned professors in these fields, by conducting events, and providing job opportunities in various fields. 

We view the club as a cornerstone between different disciplines, that is why we take collaborative actions to bring speakers to school.

Current Coordinators

Dom: I am the president but I would rather say that I am coordinating and bringing to life the ideas developed and validated by the group. I am the “ancient” by my age and because I will be graduated in two months. Besides this, I am French, did my PhD with the WHO, worked and wed in Brazil and super impatient to start a new professional life.

Raviteja: I am one of the board members of this nascent and exciting club. We discuss interesting topics on how to lay a strong foundation and build the club for the current and future generations. I am from India and have solid experience in marketing, technology consulting and co-founding a tech firm. Am deeply interested in politics, business and armed forces, which leads to my love for strategy.

Nikhil: I am a board member of the Strategy Club and am responsible for developing ideas for the activities of the club and maintaining relations with the IE administration. I am currently studying the IMBA at IE prior to which I was working at S&P Capital IQ. I studied economics during graduation and international marketing during my post graduate studies. In my free time, I like watching and playing all kinds of sports, singing, and driving.

Aditya: I am the VP of external communications for the Strategy Club and look into dealing with external sources and potential speakers that can benefit members of the club and school from a strategic point of view. I have a Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from Penn State – USA and have worked as a strategy consultant for IBM Consulting in the Middle East. I have had the opportunity to live and work in over 5 countries in the last 6 years, and as such realize the importance strategy plays in both local and global businesses. An avid photographer, I hope to show case my skills on an international platform one day.

Club Activities

Our main focus for is to regularly organize conferences with top-level executives involved in the strategy decision making process of their companies. We try, whenever possible, to associate recruiters from the HR department of those companies to the events.

Our Vision

We have two main projects that we would like to develop in the near future. Firstly, a case competition; wherein we would like to involve a real company and groups of 3 students each to develop possible strategies to solve a pre-determined problem being faced by the company. Judges will be professors and, of course, the management of the company as well. A prize-money will be given to the winner team.

Secondly, we plan to organize a more ambitious project – a daylong forum on strategy to be conducted once a year to explore the trends and challenges in various industries and strategies of the companies to tackle current challenges.

Get in touch and participate!

The easiest way is to talk directly to us, then you can send an email or leave a message on IE communities, but we are also present on Facebook, on Business Because and we will be present on LinkedIn in few months, when the club will be well established with a regularity of events that we do not have right now.

In terms of support or collaboration, we started almost from scratch, thanks to Christian Baillifard and Scott Robertson the club is alive since one year, but we have a lot to do. We are looking for sponsors for the club in order to be able to organize our events with a decent networking after the conference and also to develop other activities. We also request students to help us simply by providing direct contacts with executives that we can invite for our events.