15
Jul

The IE Sailing club is more than a sport, it is a lifestyle!

Written on July 15, 2016 by Campus Life in Sports

I was hooked after being part of the Lanzarote regatta and I was excited to participate in the next one as soon as possible. The next opportunity was the IESE spring games in Barcelona, and the club was needing a Spanish speaker to help them coordinate. I was up for the challenge and thankfully the president and my crew members where always helping and made the decisions easy.Being Sailing Club Coordinator is an adventure, but it’s not all easy.  I’m talking about things like coordinating boats, skippers, transportation, accommodations (for all the crew members), transportation inside the city and then the parties. Scheduling is requires to be done weeks ahead before the event starts, which is a lot of while when added on top of the MBA.

The performance from IE at the games was amazing.

This is what happened at the games:

We had great skippers, as well crew members. After the first day (2 races) Team B was leader and Team A was in 3rd place. The weather conditions were just perfect. The next morning the wind conditions were difficult because the lack of wind. The races had to be shortened because there was going to take too much time. As the morning passed the wind kept increasing, the competition was fearless. LBS was on the chase for the gold, making great performances and finishing at the top places in almost all races. At the end Team A was able to keep up and bring back the gold for IE! Team B placed as well, bringing home the bronze. Like most things about the IE Experience, being part a part of this club will change your life not only at IE, but forever. The bonds that are created during a regatta/ armada are one of the strongest you can build; everyone on the boat is neededYou truly rely on your team members because one small mistake or “tag” decision can be the difference between winning or loosing.

Sailing is unique sport and at the end your teammates become your family I will carry my memories from the IE Sailing Club with me long after my time in Madrid has ended.