The first ieOut recruiting event with McKinsey took place at its offices with more than 25 candidates. Brian Rolfes, Partner, Global Recruiting at McKinsey & Company and Co-founder of GLAM did a very engaging presentation. He did not want to explain what it means to work at McKinsey, he preferred to focus on the importance to be ourselves.
There was also time for Q&A and for networking, where candidates could interact with him and with GLAM representatives from Madrid offices.
Brian started explaining why McKinsey was doing the effort to attract LGBT candidates to their firm and he stated that McKinsey only has two assets: Talent and Knowledge. This is why they need to get the best.
Further to him there are three main reasons for searching diversity:
- They look for different perspectives, strengths and skills (he, himself is a lawyer)
- Their business is problem solving and they need innovative approaches and creativity
- The increase of client diversity requires diverse profiles to address their focus, interests and skills.
He also dedicated some time to explain the benefits to be authentic and the advantages to sponsor GLAM at McKinsey:
- Support: it is nice to learn that you are not all alone
- Talent war: they really want the best
- Enhancing the environment
- Being a global network, they have a wider perspective
- A very powerful tool to get external outreach It is nice to have a network, and there can be fear to look for equal opportunities, but these benefits are also directly related to the business case.