20
Apr

Amanda Kelly
Associate Director of Communications at IE University
From: Saskatchewan, Canada

Before IE University, I worked in Montreal with Global News, a national TV broadcaster in Canada. In addition to reporting on news and writing, a big part of my role there was helping the team to transition to digital, which involved a complete mind-shift in terms of how stories were filed and how social media could be used to report and gather news. In fact, it’s this mind-shift that seems to be a constant in my life, personally and professionally – and it has been source of incredible challenges, frustration, excitement and joy!

I was born in Saskatchewan – a province in Canada that very few people can pronounce and even fewer have visited. In my early 20s, I moved to London, England, where I worked, first in television production and later with the newspaper, The Guardian. I returned to university to study art history at Cambridge and then started my own business – a recording studio. 

When I came to IE, I had been living in Spain for just a year and I have been amazed. IE offers an intellectual and entrepreneurial hub, with students and staff from Spain and across the globe. It brings together the most talented and interesting people in the country and provides so many interesting opportunities to exchange and grow. It really is a pleasure to communicate and share all the fascinating projects and innovative ideas that are developed here with the world.

Bio: Amanda was the web producer for Global News in Montreal, curating the news and covering local and provincial stories for GlobalNews.ca from 2011-2015. She began her career in journalism at The Guardian and Observer in London, England, working on the then just-started Guardian Unlimited website while studying History of Art at Cambridge University. Passionate about culture, digital media and politics, she is currently the Associate Director of Communications at IE University in Madrid, Spain.