18
May

Matan Mayer
Assistant Professor at IE School of Architecture and Design

Late in his life, Albert Einstein famously said: “Perfection of means and confusion of goals seem—in my opinion—to characterize our age”. This assessment is still very much relevant today, particularly in light of the rapid technological transformations that take shape around us constantly. Maintaining a focus on the larger goals of our profession and its service to society guides my teaching activities at IE, where I am a faculty member at the School of Architecture and Design. I teach the construction course sequence in the second year as well as design studios in the first and third years of the Bachelor of Architecture program. Additionally, over the past year I offered workshops in design thinking and structural optimization. I also serve as a the school’s Technology and Environment coordinator and co-chair the Fabrication Laboratory Steering Committee.

I moved to Segovia after almost a decade in Cambridge, Massachusetts, where I completed a doctoral degree and taught at Harvard University. IE’s emphasis on social sciences and entrepreneurship allows our school to offer a unique blend of design excellence and real-world implementation. This is what drew me to teach here.

Looking forward, I hope to assist in expanding the level of academic collaboration that already exists within the university and to explore new frontiers in both teaching and research.

Bio: Matan Mayer is a full-time faculty member at IE University School of Architecture and Design, where he teaches construction, technology and design courses. He holds a doctoral and masters research degrees from Harvard Graduate School of Design, as well as a BArch degree from Tel Aviv University. Matan’s research focuses on achieving life cycle innovation in the built environment through developments in manufacturing technology, assembly techniques, and digital design platforms. Prior to his role at IE, Matan was a postdoctoral fellow at the Harvard Center for Green Buildings and Cities, following a residency at the Harvard Innovation Lab Venture Incubation Program, as well as research fellowships at the Institute for Lightweight Structures and Conceptual Design at the University of Stuttgart, and the Composite Construction Laboratory at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.