15
Jun

Ferén Barrios: Passion and Commitment

Written on June 15, 2017 by Campus Life in IE Stories

Ferén Barrios
IE Store assistant
Philosopher
From: Cartagena de Indias, Colombia

I was born 27 years ago in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, and I came to Madrid 4 years ago with the idea of starting my own business, which I actually did: my wife and I used to run a bookstore and bookbinder’s in Malasaña. But things have changed for the better over these years, and now I am pursuing my doctoral degree in Philosophy while I work at IE Store.

There are many great things that captivated me when I found this job—or did it find me?  I was amazed by IE’s emphasis on the humanities, which is so necessary for today’s global society; also, I felt IE’s strong commitment to leading the unfolding of an exciting, promising future as a duty of my own to a world that never before was so close to overcoming scarcity and misery through a wise use of technology; not to mention the incredible professionals I work with, and the diversity outreach I experience and enjoy every day.

Believe it or not, there is even more: the most important and attractive feature of IE, something that you learn only by spending time with all these wonderful people, is that we care about our world. We believe passionately that what we do, big or small, counts and matters.

While globalization brings titanic struggles for domination of the Earth and its resources, it also carries new opportunities to create a wealthy, fair world for the coming generations. This is arguably the most profitable business of all! Higher education institutions who train our future leaders and entrepreneurs have the noble responsibility to fill their hearts with passion and commitment, and their minds with solid scientific knowledge, all of which will be invested in a planet that requires to be managed and cherished as a whole.

This is the reason why I am so proud of IE Store’s endeavor to promote eco-friendly consumption: merchandising and institutions should not be good only for themselves, but also for the world they exist in and depend on, and for the people around them. Moreover, I am proud that this is actually IE’s policy as a company, and it is a privilege to be a part of a community that is always changing for the better. So please, dear colleagues and students, do not stop fighting for your dreams, because they are the dreams of the world, and do not stop believing that we can go beyond: actually that is how we get there!

Bio: Ferén Barrios is a 27-year-old philosopher, currently writing a Ph.D dissertation on metaphysics and advanced technologies from a Nietzschean point of view. He has been a bookseller and bookbinder in his own startup, La Agonía Libros, and has worked in education and publications since he was 18. In September 2016 he was appointed assistant at IE Store, where he expects to learn more about businesses and startups while supporting IE’s global focus on sustainability and eco-friendliness.