6
Jul

Gabriela Alvarado
Doctor in Business Administration
IE Business School
Associate Dean of MBA programs, ITAM
From: Mexico

I have always believed that higher education has the power to transform the lives of individuals by providing them with the required knowledge, skills and values to contribute to the development of better organizations truly committed to building a better world. This is why I have worked at ITAM, one of the leading universities in Mexico, for the last 24 years of my life.

I started at ITAM as a marketing professor at the undergraduate level and a few years later I joined the group of professors who teach in the MBA and Executive Education programs. The marketing professors team really wanted to have an impact beyond the classroom so we launched a marketing magazine aimed at executives in the late 90’s which was distributed throughout the country and merged with Dirección Estratégica, ITAM’s business magazine after 11 years. In 2003, I was appointed Associate Dean of MBA programs and was fortunate to lead the launch of ITAM’s first three MBAs with international partners and residencies abroad.

Nine years ago, ITAM supported me to study a Doctorate in Business Administration at IE Business School and it was when I had the privilege to start being part of the IE community. I was so excited to study in one of the top business schools of the world! My professors and my mentor at IE taught me what it meant to be a true scholar through their living example and unwavering enthusiasm and inspired me to start my research on business education around the world.

This year, as part of my sabbatical, I spent five months at IE writing a book about the future of management education in Latin America and actively participating in some initiatives for two of the current IE business school’s programs: one aimed at young professionals and the other for senior managers. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to be involved in a project devoted to form the leaders of the future and another to support present leaders with the challenges facing organizations and societies nowadays with a forward-thinking.

But above all, I feel extremely fortunate for the opportunity to better know IE people, learn from them and develop lifelong relationships with them. Every single day, I was impressed by their remarkable leadership, passion, generosity, high-level thinking and way of understanding the current and future challenges confronting business education. After these months, I fell completely in love with IE and its people. They are truly committed to reinventing higher education for a better world!

Bio: Gabriela Alvarado is the Associate Dean of MBA programs at ITAM, Mexico, where she also teaches Marketing Management and Marketing Research at the graduate level. She holds the degrees of Doctor in Business Administration from IE Business School, and MBA and B.S. in Actuarial Science from ITAM. Gabriela was part of the team who developed the Executive MBA, Global MBA, and Americas MBA programs at ITAM and is also the publisher of Dirección Estratégica, ITAM’s business magazine. Her research examines the influence that international accreditations and global rankings exert on business schools’ strategies and actions and currently she is writing a book about management education in Latin America.