26
Oct

Katharina Streibich
International MBA January 2017 intake
President, IE Women in Business Club
From: Bühl, Germany

A couple of weeks ago, the admissions office asked me to present the IMBA to prospective students and to answer their questions regarding IE, the program and living in Madrid.

In preparation for the call, I thought about the three reasons why I chose the IMBA: Its internationality, its set-up and its focus on Technology, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship.

First, I guess having 92% international students, is one of IE’s biggest assets. We all love the different national parties and club events to taste local specialties, such as Tequila, Aguardiente, Pisco or delicious German beer at Oktoberfest. However, the true value add are the study groups. My first study group represented almost all continents and it was interesting to see how the dynamics changed over time. Whereas the (Latin) Americans and the Europeans were quite communicative and participative from the very beginning, it needed a karaoke party to reveal the real personality of some Asian fellows. However, the study groups are not only a lot of fun, but also a unique and save learning environment, both from a personal and professional point of view.

Second, the flexible set-up of the IMBA allows us to have the same benefits as in a two-year MBA program. Having the chance to do either an internship or the start-up lab as part of the MBA was one of the key reason why I chose IE. Although I love to live in the IE-bubble, I decided to leave Madrid during the summer to conduct an internship in London. Especially for students who want to change their career an internship is a great learning and networking experience.

Third, having worked as a Consultant before, I wanted to understand in detail what all those digital buzz-words, which I put on my slides, really mean and how they impact our lives, both in the short- and long-term. IE is the only top business school in Europe, that offers basically a class or club for every single digital technology.

Another reason why most of us love IE, is the rich campus life directly in the heart of Madrid. IE has plenty of national, industry, sports, and social clubs. Being a member of such a club is not only a great networking experience, but also a great chance to strengthen your soft- and hard-skills.

To come back to my call with the prospective students and the advice I gave them. – The IMBA is a great chance to experiment and to reach new limits. For some things, such as internships, you have to be a bit more proactive, but at the end of the day thanks to the program’s flexibility everything is possible at IE. So, make the most out of it and even more importantly ENJOY the exiting time!!!

Bio: Katharina, is an IMBA student from the January 2017 intake and will graduate in December. She just returned from London, where she completed the IMBA in Practice Internship at Salesforce.com. Here at IE, Katharina is leading the Women in Business and the Technology & Innovation club. Prior to her MBA, Katharina worked for 5.5 years at Accenture Strategy in the area of Strategy and Digital Finance in Munich, Germany. Before starting her professional career, Katharina studied in the UK, France, Germany, and Argentina.

Katharina loves sports, travelling, good food, modern art, and history.