16
Nov

Betty Yunlei Lu
MIM September 2017 Intake
President of IE Artificial Intelligence club From: Vancouver, Canada

Coming to IE is one of the best decisions I have made in life. Here I am not only able to embrace the values of cultural diversity, a cause I have believed in for many years, but also leverage my passion in new technologies and lead my club to discover the the fascinating world of AI.

I was born in China, and raised in Canada since a young age. For the past nine years, I have devoted myself into promoting the values of cultural diversity. In 2008, I co-founded and later became the president of a student organization called Byng Inclusion Club, with a mission to promote active citizenship and friendship among newcomers and students from various cultural backgrounds. During my years as president I organized over 50 school activities and 15 community events such as cross-cultural performances, workshops and fundraisers. The club grew from five members to over 300 registered members who collectively contributed 5000 community service hours.

From 2014 to 2015, I decided to take my social cause to a higher level. I joined the prestigious Miss World Canada Contest, whose mission is to discover “beauty with a purpose” to be charity ambassador for Canada. The platform allowed me to promote the values of cultural diversity and cross cultural understanding to more audience, with the support of many student and community organizations as well as media attention. One of the biggest events I organized that year was named ‘Harmony in Action – Multicultural Engagement Gala and Fundraiser’. The 3-hour event consisted of a series of cultural performances and attracted over 500 attendees, raising over $10,000 for charity. In May 2015, I had the honor to become 1st Runner Up of Miss World Canada, and continued to dedicated into many philanthropic activities.

During the same year, I was so lucky to meet my Mr. Right, Brian Yadu Yang, to whom I am engaged three months before we come to IE to pursue graduate studies together. Brian worked as a senior investment manager at Silicon Valley Venture Capital, Plug and Play Tech Centre, and invested extensively in new technology companies, especially artificial intelligence start-ups. Brian’s enthusiasm in AI greatly influenced me to also develop a strong passion in the area, which inspired us to create an AI Club at IE University.

Artificial Intelligence is an inevitable trend in our era and is widely used in many fields, such as ADAS, AI Chatbot and Face Recognition. With the help of a talented team of co-founders (Liuyun X., Catherine L., Brian Y., Alex L. and Suzane W.) and IE Campus Life, we established the IE AI Club within one month of arrival in Madrid. Our club’s objective is to educate our members about the business opportunities in this field and equip them with the AI knowledge they need to know to prepare for the ever more demanding workforce. On November 8th, we held a successful AIcebreaker event, and will be holding another event in the upcoming week. AI Club is our team’s IE blueprint, and we hope to keep up this blueprint for as long as the world needs new technology transformation like artificial intelligence.

Bio: Betty Yunlei Lu is a MIM Candidate at IE Business School and the president of IE Artificial Intelligence Club. She graduated from the University of British Columbia with dual bachelor specialization in Finance and International Business. Born in China and raised in Canada, Betty has a diverse cultural and educational background, having studied in Canada, US, Spain, China, UK, France and Czech Republic. She is a devoted student leader, award-winning dance teacher and cultural diversity ambassador. She is also 1st Runner Up of 2015 Miss World Canada and Winner of 2014 China International Model Contest.