7
Dec

Jesus Martin
Chief Data Officer at The Cocktail and Associate Professor at IE School of Human Sciences and Technology
From: Madrid, España

One of the passions I have always had is observing how the world can be improved with data, how many phenomena can be understood and better decisions can be made by using analytics. While I was studying at the University, I asked one of the professors to collaborate with him to facilitate practical activities to students on financial economics with spreadsheets software. This was my first teaching experience ten years ago and something that I will never forget. Those thoughts around data and analytics have evolved to dream of a future in which we could all live in a better world having technology doing everything that a machine could do with data and leaves us room for whatever needs more than data to be achieved.

This passion has been always developed in parallel with my fascination about digital and how the world changes by having easy access to endless information and communication. Before finishing my studies on Business and Law, I deeply enjoyed designing and building websites as well as learning all about digital marketing that I was not learning in my studies.

I did not expect these two passions would come together so smoothly as when I started working at Google Spain in 2010. I realized how data, analytics and digital marketing can work together to improve the experiences that a brand, an organization or a government provide to the world. Amazing things can be done with the right approach and the proper technology and making this happen is what I realized I wanted to spend my time on.

Looking back, I realize how lucky I am. Now, working at The Cocktail as Chief Data Officer, we define how data and analytics can be used to improve the business of our clients with a true focus on the end user, and teaching Digital Analytics and Marketing Intelligence at the IE School of Human Sciences and Technology are achievements that I could never imagine a few years ago. Thinking about the people that I have found in the path, having lived in three continents and collecting amazing experiences along the way is amazing but in my mind there is always the mantra of “the best is yet to come”. Nevertheless, what really makes me get goosebumps is to think about my year old baby and my wife who are always pushing me higher.

At the IE, I teach courses on understanding the digital data ecosystem at the Market Research and Consumer Behavior master and how data can be used to improve marketing at the Business Analytics and Big Data master. I have been teaching at the IE for three years and my main challenge is to have students become passionate about data and digital marketing. Same passion is applied to the projects that we at The Cocktail develop with the IE to define and implement how different marketing channels can be optimized to improve business goals. Hopefully, my IE Blueprint lasts for a long time and the digital revolution through data is continuously adopted at IE to generate competitive advantages that make IE more and more relevant in the world.

Bio: Jesús Martín is Chief Data Officer at The Cocktail and Associate Professor at the IE School of Human Sciences and Technology, teaching digital and marketing analytics. He worked at Google four years holding different positions at the Global Business Operations team in Madrid and New York, working with large companies to make the most of their digital marketing efforts. Spanish with international perspective, he holds an MBA from INSEAD, studied Law and Business at the Rey Juan Carlos University and worked at its Applied Economics department as researcher and lecturer. He also studied the Superior Degree of Music at the Royal Conservatory of Madrid, specialized in contemporary accordion and has played in several chamber groups and music bands.